Tuesday, January 27, 2009

On the Fence: The Hidden World of the Hard of Hearing by Mark Drolsbaugh



Hard of hearing people can find themselves stuck in the middle between the world of the hearing and the world of the culturally deaf. If that's how you've felt, then this is the book for you. Filled with poems and short essays describing the whole spectrum of the hard of hearing experience, this book by turns frightened me when discussing discrimination, saddened me when expressing feelings of isolation, and inspired me when challenges were overcome and new opportunities realized.

If you are hard of hearing, this is a must read book. It will not provide the type of useful information found in the books listed on my sidebar but it will help you know you are not alone. Thirty-seven others (the writers of On the Fence) have been there.

This book is currently available from Harris Communications, a wonderful resource of products for the deaf and hard of hearing.

7 comments:

kym said...

i'm wondering if my library has this book? i'm going to check and see, if not i totally want to order it. thanks for the recommend, i've been on his 'deaf culture online' site a few times.

kym

Frances said...

Same here! I can't wait to get my hands on this one. Thanks so much for the info.

KV Creative Designs said...

Hi! Thank you for visiting my block. I will look for this book! Thanks so much for blogging about it! I will come visit again!
Happy New Year,
Kathryn

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I'll have to check out that Deaf Culture Online site. It's new to me.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Frances and Kathryn,
Thanks for your comments. I hope you'll enjoy the book.
Sarah

l1zblog said...

As you know I've read this already, and mentioned it on my blog. Its a very good book that I found helpful, and I good relate to it too. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who felt like they did... on the fence.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
Absolutely the best part of reading this book is knowing one is not alone in being "on the fence".
Sarah