Monday, January 19, 2009

My Dream

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., here is my dream of what the world could be like for those with hearing loss.

  • workplaces
  • universities & colleges
  • community adult education
  • K-12 schools & school events
  • news websites
  • places for worship
  • theatres & cinemas
  • home entertainment
What would you add to the list?

To create your own Obama Hope like picture visit Obamiconme.


billcreswell said...

I have a dream of seeing my "place of worship" get more accessible this year.
(there is stuff for hh, but not deaf)

An attempt to get captioning has been announced, and deaf ministry / asl interpreter for service has been brought before board members! I am proud of my wife, she brought it up in her membership application!

kym said...

i would have to say better captioning on tv. sometimes it is so jumbled up, you have no idea what is being said, or the program is not captioned. also, i'm not a fan of commercials but a big majority of them are NOT captioned.

awesome post sarah.


Jonathan said...

I'd like to add the following:
- schools for the Deaf (to be accessible for the Hard of Hearing)
- videos online.
- radios

Have you heard of a person at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, BC, Canada, doing a project on creating a world of accessible design"? If you're interested in reading more about it, then go to: and click on Creating a Virtual Institute for Hearing Accessibilityz (sic) by Laszlo and Pichora Fuller. It is a Words document.

At the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association-International Federation of the Hard of Hearing Congress in Vancouver in July 2008, Laszlo gave his presenation and it moved a few of the branches of the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association to donate large sums of money to support his research.

l1zblog said...

Yes I'd like to see accessible workplaces too. Also Deaf Awareness Training being done automatically in the workplace. And better Teletex service where I live.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Bill,
I'm proud of your wife too. I hope your church will provide the ASL interpreter and see their attendance grow as a result.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I don't have a TV with captioning so as a result I don't watch much TV...I did notice yesterday a Suave commercial that had no speaking - their entire message was artfully written on the screen. Now that's accessible!!!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jonathon,
Good additions to the list. I completely forgot about radio. I can't wait to check out the link you posted. Sounds great.
Thanks! Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
Deaf Awareness Training - an excellent addition. I freely admit I was clueless about hearing loss until receiving my own diagnosis. I still have much to learn.
Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Greetings & Salutations, Speak up! Your blog has kept me up all night, happily reading story after wonderful story, haha!

Hmm, I think to that list, I'd add:
- Make HA's (hearing aids) much more affordable to those who live on limited financial resources (like I do right now)...

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Anonymous,
Welcome to my blog. Excellent addition to my list. Thanks for contributing. Access to better hearing for all who need should definitely be part of the Dream.
All the best,