Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year New Me


2008 was a BAD year for me. As some of you may remember I got so down on myself that last summer I deleted my blog. Fortunately I came to my senses and resurrected it as I truly enjoy blogging and actually find it therapeutic at times. Unexpectedly, 2008 contained difficult family estrangements and stressful challenges and changes at work. One of the toughest lessons I had to learn was that someone I thought was my true friend was not. I was deceived and taken in by a manipulative liar. Naturally this was apparent to everyone but me. Arrgh. My self esteem plummeted.

I am truly grateful that 2008 is behind me. Of course not all of it was bad. In fact, many of the good times have been chronicled here on my blog where they can be reread and relived. And it's here on my blog that I want to share my special mantra for 2009: TO LIVE OUT LOUD AND NOT FALL SILENT. I found it in the last sentence of this blog post by Kim and realized it resonated with me.


This photo is of a Smiley Snowman posed on top of my computer tower in my work cubicle. I bought him for someone else but couldn't bear to part with him. He really brightens my day with his smile.

Fortunately, I have a circle of genuine friends who I appreciate now that I understand their true worth. One of these dear women gave me a belated Christmas present for my desk at work: a miniature calendar with a daily quote related to friendship. I found one so apropos that I taped it to my computer moniter so I can see it throughout my workday. I just have to share it with you.

My friend, if I could give you one thing, I would wish for you the ability to see yourself as others see you. Then you would realize what a truly special person you are. - B.A. Billingsly

Isn't that lovely? That's what a true friend does for you. Gives a gift to help you heal. I also bought myself a gift - a devotional by Joyce Meyer entitled New Day, New You. Each page has a short scripture verse with some inspirational thoughts for the day. For me reading it is taking a baby step back towards faith and light and hope. I'm really hoping for a better year. I know it all revolves around my taking better care of myself and making the right decisions and actions.


I wish you all peace of heart in 2009!

12 comments:

Jonathan said...

Sorry that 2008 was so awful for you. I on the other hand never had a year as good as 2008. Perhaps we can all hope for a good 2009.

That quote that you shared in your blog is lovely. I'm sure people would say that to me as I've been so kindly complimented many times, but I honestly don't take my friends' compliments that well and that seriously. It'd be nice to see what they so good in me; wouldn't that be a neat experience if we could do that?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Yeah, I wish there was a hand mirror that we could hold up that would allow us to see ourselves as others do. Of course by this I mean the people who say kind things. If someone has a bad opinion of me I'd rather the mirror just turn opaque. *smile*

Jonathon, I think you should take your friends compliments seriously. It's just to easy to believe the worst about ourselves.

I'm really glad to hear you had a terrific 2008. Thanks for commenting.

Best wishes for 2009, Sarah

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

My dear friend, there are many challenges in life each and every day wherever we are. We must believe that WE are worth a smile, a kind word, even a shared silly joke. 2009 will be better! If you ever need a few more inspirational quotes, come and see me...I have a book of them on my desk! Laugh often friend.

Deb Ann said...

Happy New Year, my dearest friend.

kym said...

2008 may not have been great, but 2009 has big potential!!
I'm sorry to hear you had some unfortunate expeirences/relationships with people. That is always hard.

I like the quote you got from Kim's post, it is so true and may have to steal it for my new mantra.

I'm glad you continue to blog, if anything you are inspirational to those who read it. And I appreciate that.

Here's to a terrific year!

*kym*

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Dear Taylorstales,
Thanks. I think you hit on the heart of the matter. We have to believe we are worth good things. Thank you for being there for me as I continue to face life's challenges. Love ya!
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Happy New Year to you Deb Ann. Receiving a comment from you or reading a post on your blog always brightens my day!
Love, Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
Yes, isn't that a great mantra for a blog - particularly the not fall silent part. It's so easy to drift away from writing. I want my blog to live out loud this year. Feel free to use it on your own blog too. I'm sure Kim would be flattered to have had such an impact with her post. You do read her, don't you? She's a wonderful writer. Another blog I thought you might enjoy reading is Life of the Hard of Hearing by Alex.
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes 2009 definitely has potential!
Sarah

kym said...

Yeah, I believe the Kim you are referring to added herself as a follower today. I've got 4 now...that's alot for me, someone who never thought anyone read her blog.
Anyway, I will check out the other blog you are referring to. I'm always looking for new and interesting people to read.
We all can use some encouragement from time to time. And support.

I certainly hope 2009 has gotten off to a good start for you.

Good stuff for us both!!

Kym

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks kym, you're way ahead of me - I only have one follower - someone I was surprised to learn reads my blog.
Yes 2009 has been better. Thanks for your good wishes.
Sarah

Amy Kay said...

Sarah,
I find blogging is therapeutic for me as well.
Thanks for always being there sneaking a peek at my blog and for your comments. They make my day. Its always nice to know someone reads them, and can relate.
~Hugs for a Great New Year
Amy

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi AmyKay,
Thanks for letting me have a glimpse into your world! I find your writing very interesting and want to encourage you to keep writing. Thanks for the hugs. I needed them.
Smiles,
Sarah