Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Chicago Walk4Hearing in Photos

We had a sunny day with a bit of wind.
Temperatures were brisk in the high 50s-low 60s range.

Here I am at the starting line with my 
official walk hat and my team tshirt.

 My son Charlie walked with me.
Together we raised $600.

Before the walk began, there was balloon
 twisting and face painting for the kids.

Ronnie Adler, Walk Chair, announced that 1,000 people
came to walk. According to the Chicago Walk4Hearing website
just over $163,500 was raised. My team ALDA Chicago
topped our goal of $3,000 by a hundred dollars.

My son must have taken this sign to heart. 
He couldn't walk, he had to run. He covered
the distance 3 times lapping me twice.

This sign was a welcome sight!
We walked 5K (3.1 miles).

Water and snacks were provided for all of the walkers.

At the end, we were treated
to free pizza and ice cream.

Brenda Battat, Executive Director of the Hearing
Loss Association of America, and me

In the photos below, you will see some of the tshirts worn by
groups who walked as teams. Coming up with a creative
shirt design is part of the fun of the Walk4Hearing events.
This was the back of my group's tshirt.

I also saw versions of this tshirt as Ready or Not,
Hear We Come which I thought was quite clever.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
The little boy on this shirt has a hearing loss.

HLAA Lincoln Park chapter's T-shirt

I like this design's use of the letters D and u!

I'd like to say THANKS to everyone who
sponsored Charlie and me on this walk:
Mom, Dad, Aunt Louise, Uncle Gene,
Bill, Ann, Lydia, Carol, Pam, Martha and Linda.
Your support means everything to me.


Mike said...

Congrats on your walk! Couldn't asked for a better Autumn weather.

Liz said...

Hi Sarah. Glad the weather was ok for you all. How many miles was the walk again? Apologies if you did mention how long the walk was.

It was great to see different t-shirt designs. Did not know this was part of the event as well. There were some very nice designs out there.

WisDeaf said...

Glad to see many Deaf/deaf, HOH, CIers, ALDA, and other forms of hearing loss walking in Chicago for Walk4Hearing. Congratulations! Also, glad that you enjoyed the walk and meeting all kinds of people. :) Kudos!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
It was a 5K or 3.1 mile walk.

Karen Putz said...

Great to see the wonderful turnout! We were in NY visiting my son at RIT so we couldn't participate. See you at ALDA?