Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Having Fun with Elkhart County's Elk Art

I hope you've enjoyed my series on the elks I "hunted" at Elk Art on Parade. I want to finish with a few fun photos taken during the day. My lovely friend Linda who drove me all over Elkhart County was feeling camera shy that day, but she was sporting enough to snap these photos of me interacting with the art.


So far I haven't mentioned that we had a rainy day for our "elk hunting expedition." But the raindrops didn't stop me from having a great time. This elk titled "Simply Spring" was one of my favorites. This is what the artist Nikki Long said about it:
"I wanted my Elk to represent the bond we feel toward the friends and family in our lives but was finding it hard to translate that into art. So, I decided to ask the women in my life to pick their favorite flower to represent themselves and their family. In the end, I hope to look at each flower and have a beautiful reminder of them and how much they mean to me."


Dubbed "Rooted from the Heart, this elk was my other favorite. I figured this elk with its many wonderful values had something to tell me about how life should be lived. This is what the artist said about the concept for this elk:
"My plan is to locate one or two elementary school children from every elementary school in the county, and an equal number of seniors to help paint the design. The idea behind this lies in the Heart as the root of our community. Each child will paint a heart with a tree growing from of it, signifying growth and their branching out into our lives and community. Inside each of the hearts, elders will paint words of experience, compassion, guidance and love, thus displaying the wisdom that they have to offer all of us, and especially within a family setting. It is my hope that our bright red elk will capture the attention of passersby, even from a distance, and invite them to come and be inspired, to treat each other with kindness and respect, and demonstrate the love that each of us has to offer here in Elkhart County."


Check out what was written inside its ear!


What can I say? When I saw that this elk wore the same
shade of lipstick that I do, I just couldn't resist!


I took this final photo. I was pleased to be able to capture the American flag unfurled in the background of this patriotic elk called "Made in the USA - RV Capital of the World". Elkhart is known for being a manufacturing center for recreation vehicles, also known as RVs.

I hope you've enjoyed this series of photo posts. To see more of my Outdoor Art photography, visit my flickr page.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I have really enjoyed these you have been showing. I know they are not the same, but when you started showing these, it reminded me of those pigs we seen around London, when we wondered what they were for.

I find these as lovely as them. My favourite is the one you were putting the lipstick on supposdesly. lol I think I would have done the same if my lipstick was same colour.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your pictures came out great! I know I looked at them on your camera, but didn't get a true sense. Fun! - Linda