Monday, October 10, 2011

Advantages of My New Oticon Hearing Aids

Oticon Agil Pro

I've been hearing better with Oticon since last Thursday. Because I want to do justice to my description of how I am hearing now, I am going to take my time writing about this so I get it right. In this first post, I'd simply like to list a few of the advantages I've noticed with my new Oticon Agil Pro aids over the pair I wore before made by Unitron. This may be a bit of an apples to oranges comparison because my previous aids were 5 years old so please keep that in mind. This list is in order of what I like best, starting at the top.
  • Sound is richer in quality and easier to hear. 
  • When I put the Agil Pros in my ears, I hear melodious musical tones so I know they are "on". Before I would tap my finger on the microphone behind my ear "testing, 1, 2, 3" style.  
  • The hearing aid tube inside my ear isn't a tube, it's a wire so it doesn't get clogged by ear wax. Brilliant!
  • The receiver is at the end of this wire which sits inside my ear. Sound is more natural. My previous hearing aids had the receiver located behind the ear.
  • I have a volume control button. I can increase the volume a couple settings and turn it down even more. The best part of this is that no matter if I move up or down in the settings, when I return to the volume level programmed by my audiologist, I hear beeps so I know I'm back where I need to be for everyday. Smart!
  • This hasn't happened yet but my audiologist gave me a demo in her office. When the battery is dying, there is a single warning beep. When it is powering down, there is a "dying beep" that sounds to me like someone falling off a cliff in an arcade game. In fact, the sound tickled me so much, I announced I would wait to change my batteries just to hear it. With my previous aids, the warning beeps were numerous and sometimes hours passed in between them so I didn't pay much attention to them. As a result I frequently found myself with muted hearing aids wondering how long they had been off. Now I know to start reaching for my batteries once I hear that warning beep because the final beep is only minutes away.

I think all of these advantages reflect Oticon's People First slogan. They make my hearing aid experience as the user much nicer.

In addition to my hearing aids, Oticon generously provided me with their ConnectLine package of products which I will write about in a separate post. Suffice it to say for now, the sound quality with their bluetooth streamer provides clarity I've never experienced before, even with my FM system.


9 comments:

Liz said...

Brilliant start I say. Look forward to more posts about your new hearing aids.

As for testing hearing aids. The way you did it with your previous ones. I do the clicking finger thing, just for peace of mind sometimes, that I have them on.

Megan said...

Yay! I'm so glad they are working well for you. I LOVE the Streamer :D

My audiologist asked me if I wanted to keep the musical notes on startup or not. Apparently I was one of very few who prefer having the musical tones. Most other people ask for them to be turned off! I thought that was interesting.

EmmaVerdona124 said...

I have hearing aids that looks like yours! (same brand, different model) *go to my blog to see the pictures*
for me, I love the melody tones when I put them on
and yeah the low battery tone sounds more robot like :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, everyone.

Megan,
My audiologist said most of her clients are too slow at putting their aids in to be able to hear the musical tones. I am really loving my streamer too, Megan - I just haven't quite got the hang of it yet. Now that I've activated the bluetooth, my phone doesn't seem to work for me unless I have the streamer around my neck. I'm sure I will have it all sorted out soon.

Hi Emma,
Thanks for directing me to your blog. It was interesting to read about your experience with Oticon hearing aids and the streamer. I didn't take the photo I used on this blog post. I found it on the internet. Good for you for using your own photos.

EmmaVerdona124 said...

you're welcome and I bet yours has a cool color like mine does!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Emma,
Oops. I completely forgot to mention the color I picked out. I got silver grey. I thought they looked rather "high tech", especially compared with my previous pair which were the standard beige.

EmmaVerdona124 said...

silver grey? that's what color my grandma's hearing aid is AND it's Oticon 2 :)

they are high tech, that's why I chose mine since my loss was moderate-severe severe before it ended up being in severe but hey, they're the best 4 me!

Xpressive Handz said...

Hearing aids beep when the batteries are dying?? Wow... I do know my Fabulous Husband sometimes has to tell me they are making noises. :-)
This is so cool. I love the advances of our technology. I keep reading about people being wired to hear the tv. AMAZING! Thank you for informing us and keeping us up to date, Sarah.

Anonymous said...

here is a tip re streamer pro 1.1. The insRUCtions say, "when pairing to a computer be sure to pair as a headphone/A2DP device." What this means is,in the latest versions of windows, after Bluetooth is enabled and the screen says it is connected to Streamer 1.1, you must then go to the control panel, click sound, and you will get a page with three choices: speakers, headset and headphone. Apparently headsets and headphones are not the same thing. You must select headPHONE and not headSET for the sound to come through.Also be sure your cellphone,if it is also paired and is in the vicinity of your omputer, is OFF. Neither will work if they are both in range of the streamer at the same time