Friday, September 16, 2011

My LA Story - Part 3

I am all smiles at the Focus on People Awards luncheon.

Stig Seitzberg presents me with my award.

Jennifer & me

After the awards luncheon, my husband Rob and I took the Metro to Hollywood and Highland where the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Grauman's Chinese Theater are located. It was a hot day, in the 90s , with bright sunlight reflecting off the sidewalk which affected the quality of some of our photos. It was a busy, touristy location and we spent only about an hour there.

Grauman's Chinese Theater

Putting my hands inside Meryl Streep's handprints.

Rob measures his hands against the Arnold's handprints.

Kneeling next to Sandra Bullock's star
on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rob & Marilyn in front of Madame Tussaud's.

Back at the hotel later, Rob bragged that he saw Marilyn and she was "all over him". I chimed in dryly, "She was wax."

My funny hard of hearing moment came when I decided to pose for a photo with Elmo and Big Bird. As you can see from the picture Elmo had to explain something to me. When I stood next to him for the photo, he leaned in discreetly and said, "We work for a kiss." At least that's what I thought he said. It's never a good idea to try to whisper something to me! Thinking he was joking around with me, I sent an air kiss his way and Big Bird's. Then he said more clearly, "Lady, we work for tips." Oops, not quite the same thing. Rob gave each of them a dollar. Can you imagine how hot it was to wear those costumes in that weather?

After we got back to our hotel and freshened up, we joined the Oticon group for a backlot tour of Universal Studios. Highlights included seeing sets from Jurassic Park and Back to the Future, driving down Wisteria Lane from the Desperate Housewives TV show, watching a flash flood staged, and passing by a timeline made of  movie posters from Universal Studios films. 

The most exciting part of the tour was a 3D film which we viewed while seated in our tour tram cars wearing special glasses. Suddenly enormous dinosaurs appeared on both sides of us. They were fighting a battle against King Kong. At one point King Kong leaped from one side of the tram car to the other. As the dinosaurs hissed and spit at us, water was sprayed on us. It felt as though we were moving back and forth and at one point it appeared as if our tram car had tumbled over the side of a cliff. I held on for dear life! It was so realistic and scary and fun.

We walked the red carpet laid down in front of the
Globe Theater accompanied by a Joan Rivers impersonator.

Table decorations for our dinner inside the Globe Theater.

The entertainment for the night was this band accompanying Rat Pack
impersonators of  Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr.

The Oticon motto as projected on the hotel's lobby wall.

Thanks once more to Oticon which made this wonderful experience possible. I have an appointment September 29 with my new audiologist who will fit me with the pair of hearing aids from Oticon. With fingers crossed, I'm hoping to hear better than I have for a long time.


(e said...

Looks like fun!

Xpressive Handz said...

"We work for tips". I'm pretty sure there are some who actually would work for a kiss from a pretty woman. :-))))) What a great time you had! And again, congratulations!

Liz said...

Great photos Sarah. Looks like you and Rob enjoyed yourself. :)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Ha, ha. Expressive Handz.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi (e and Liz,
Yes, it was fun. First class treatment all around. One could get used to that. Fortunately we got back to our real life before it all went to our heads.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

There will be more available on flickr soon. My flickr account can be found on the Photography tab on my blog's front page.