Saturday, September 24, 2011

Banned Books Week, September 24-October 1

This year for the first time a Virtual Read Out is being sponsored by the ALA and other organizations that want to draw attention to the continued existence of banned books in our society. Short videos of people reading aloud a passage from a banned book of their choice are being hosted on YouTube. To find out more, click here. To create your own video for the event, click here.

Personally, I know that books have had a major influence on my thinking and broadened my experience of the world. I am proud to be part of a profession that dedicates itself to making information and entertainment accessible beyond what one could personally afford or discover on one's own.

I cherish the freedom to make my own choices. I don't want ANYONE telling me what I can or cannot read. Do you?