Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My LA Story - Part 2

On Friday morning, we had a delicious breakfast at the hotel and then I had a video interview with Oticon. In front of a professional cameraman and sound person, I was asked questions about my blog. I was not given the questions in advance so I had to think quickly to express myself clearly. I was very pleased when my interviewer told me I was articulate. She told me that portions of the interview might be used as cutaways in the official Oticon video of the event. [I was sent a copy of the raw footage, so if any of you would like to see the interview, let me know and I will post it.]

There was some open time between the interviews and the awards luncheon, so my husband and I took a walk in the area of our hotel. We were on a mission to obtain a disposable camera. Can you believe that I forgot to  pack my camera? For our first day in LA, we got by using our cell phones to take photos, but I wanted to have a camera. We were directed by the hotel staff to go to a little grocery store in the area. Sure enough we found a camera there. I took this photo of an artsy LA building. Are you beginning to see a pattern in my impressions of LA?

When we got back to the hotel, it was time to meet the other award winners at the luncheon ballroom so we could find our seats at the reserved tables and practice walking up on stage. After mistakenly going to the Gold Ballroom, we found the right location for the banquet in the Diamond Ballroom. The room lived up to its name as the table setting, floral arrangement, and desserts at each place looked so elegant, I had to snap this photo. I was seated next to Stig Seitzberg, West Coast Regional Manager who gave my introduction at the podium. On the other side of my husband sat Don Sims, the winner for Hearing Care Practitioner. As fate would have it, he knew some of my fellow travelers on the Discovering Deaf Worlds trip to Costa Rica. Small world, isn't it?

The speeches started with the Adult winner and the Student winner. Then it was my turn. Here's my speech (captioned by me) from video provided by Oticon. There were 450 hearing care professionals in attendance at this luncheon. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk to them and didn't feel nervous because I had prepared ahead of time. You can tell me how you think I did.


In the next installment, My LA Story - Part 3, I will share my photos from the Hollywood Walk of Fame and our tour of Universal Studios.


(e said...

I thought you did a fantastic job! Congratulations.

Xpressive Handz said...

Sarah, this is wonderful! They picked a very deserving winner in you. :-)

Liz said...

Very good speech Sarah. OMG I could not have done that! You loooked very calm up there, I would have been shaking like a leaf.

I would love to see the interview Sarah of the raw footage you were sent.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, everybody. I couldn't have made it there without you four!

Danielle said...

WOW Congrats! amazing speech..