Sunday, March 13, 2011

Zip Lining in Costa Rica

My chance to zip line in Costa Rica seems to be one of the most amazing aspects of my recent trip in the minds of my family and friends. Some people don't quite know what zip lining is. I've explained that it's hanging on a wire and putting yourself out into a void. The photo above illustrates what I mean.

Everyone wants to know if it was scary. Of course it was! I have a fear of heights and fear of falling that added to my terror. But I was determined to use this opportunity to conquer these fears or at least not let them hold me back.

Here I am equipped with my harness, helmet, and pulley. I'm putting a brave face on it although I've chosen a hot pink rain jacket in case I fall off and have to be found among the green of the rain forest. Ha, ha.

We got to the top of the mountain riding in these cage like cars called the Sky Tram. Normally that would be scary enough for me but with the greater thrill to come, I managed to enjoy the 20 minute trip up above the trees.

We received a lesson on proper zip lining technique and then were given the opportunity to ride across two short lines as practice before we reached the point of no return. The first two platforms were easy to reach as you can see from my smile in the photo above. It was the third one where you couldn't see the ending point that was scary. I'm proud to say no one in our group backed out of the zip lining. For me there was strength in numbers and knowing I wasn't the only one nervous about it.

It began to rain hard and we found ourselves soaked and chilled as we waited our turn at the remaining six platforms. Brrr. But no one could tell if I was shaking from fear or the cold.

In a way having the view obscured by the clouds and my rain-blurred glasses helped me with my fear. Even so during the first moments of release on each line, I kept my eyes closed. Once I was fully committed to my course and on my way zooming through the air so fast that the rain pelted my cheeks painfully, I actually enjoyed the thrill. It was like flying. The little girl inside me cried, "Whee!"

When the guide announced we had come to "Big Daddy" the longest, fastest line I got nervous again. But I shouldn't have. That line was actually the best of all of them. Below you can see actual photographic proof that I zip lined! In the picture I am slowing down to reach the final platform. My thanks to Dave Justice of Discovering Deaf Worlds for sharing his photos.


9 comments:

Martha said...

Oh, how I envy you, in the nicest possible way! You must have had an exhilarating time. Thanks for letting me share this through your eyes!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're very brave. I'm not sure that I could do that, although it would be hard to back away from a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm glad you did it and how awesome that you have a photo of you actually doing it!

LS

Jonathan said...

What an awesome adventure, Sarah!

Nice hot hot pink raincoat! ;)

I haven't zipline yet, but I want to. I also want to do something called Zorbing, which is also known as Ogo-ing. Check it out at this link: http://www.horseshoeresort.com/site/adventure-park/ogo.html I am thinking about going there this summer to try both ogo and zip-lining. Wanna join me for a Canadian adventure?

Liz said...

This is something I know I could not do. I have put myself in a height situation before and it made it worst for me. I would have been crying at the thought of going across there, let alone just being up there, before doing it.

Well done Sarah to you for doing it!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Jonathan, I've promised my family that I'm going to be staying home and saving money for my son's college. I will look at the link you shared. Go for the adventure. You won't regret it.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Jonathon,
Ogoing looks really fun!

~~kym~~ said...

awesome!!

Lucy said...

What an awesome opportunity! I especially like the line, "But I was determined to use this opportunity to conquer these fears or at least not let them hold me back."

That's something I have been thinking about lately, too... for much of my life, I've been afraid of my hearing loss, which sounds pretty silly. I was afraid of certain situations because I wouldn't be able to hear well. But I am learning to at least not let the fears hold me back. Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to hearing about more adventures! :)

Carol Machura said...

I really enjoyed these photos Sarah. I would never, ever be able to do what you did. Good for you!!