Friday, March 12, 2010

Hearing a New Sound


Canada Goose 2
Originally uploaded by SewerDoc

As I was walking in to work the other day, a Canadian goose flew overhead. It was flying very low and wheeling around in the air above me. I heard a rhythmic whirring sound and realized it was the sound of the bird's wings flapping strenuously. I had heard the sound of geese calling but had no idea that it was possible to hear their wings moving. I looked all around me to see if there was anything else that could possibly account for this sound. There wasn't. I was really hearing the bird. I was amazed.

Later I talked about my experience with my son and he explained to me that birds' wings do make a noise but only if they are flying low can you hear it. That was all the confirmation I needed.

So often my blog posts have been about missing out due to my hearing loss that I am very pleased that thanks to wearing hearing aids I could hear a sound that was new to me. I'm dedicating this post to Joey Resciniti, the mother of a daughter with hearing loss who left the following lovely comment on my post "A Whole New World".
It's neat for me to think of her having those same "wow" moments when she heard the world for the first time.

9 comments:

JoeyRes said...

Thanks so much for thinking of us! Julia's hearing loss has helped me appreciate sounds in a way I never did before. There are so many things that I never noticed before it became my job to point them out to her.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

You're welcome, Joey & Julia.
Here is a post from another blog that I think you will enjoy. I am hoping to create a post of my own about it soon.

Danielle said...

Sarah- thats wonderful. I am glad you are wearing your aids. I am glad I hear certain sounds to. Maybe one day I will hear a bird.

Have a great day!

Smile

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Danielle,
Yeah, it's funny how many things make sounds that before hearing aids I didn't even realize make sounds, ha ha. Whenever I watch captioned DVDs that include background noises, I always ask my friends or family, can you really hear that [the sound being described] and they always say yes. I still don't hear all there is to hear but I was really excited to hear something new. I wish the same experience for you.
Hugs, Sarah

kim said...

I always thought birds flapped silently. Didn't know they made sound! :-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, Kim. I was really hoping someone would write that and that I wasn't the only one who didn't know. Now whenever I see a bird flying I am going to supply an imaginary "flap flap" sound. :)

HOHCanadian said...

I can hear the flap when they're grounded and do the flap flap flap against their breast to ward off any threats. I don't recall hearing flapping while in flight. You've got good hearing aids.

mogrenewed said...

The wing noise is amazing isnt it? I hadn't realised that they wings made a noise until I got my implant. I'm so pleased for you that hearing aids can give you that sort of sound quality.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi HOH Canadian and Mog,
I think I should be clear here that I've only heard this wing noise the one time and it was a very large bird flapping quite powerfully. It just took me by surprise as I had no idea that wings made a sound. I'm sure your implant, Mog, gives you much better sound than my hearing aids can. HOH, I've never heard the wing noise in the situation you describe. Maybe this was a fluke but it was pretty exciting for me. Thank you both for your comments.