Sunday, November 30, 2008

Reading the Silver Screen

The night before Thanksgiving I went to see an open captioned showing of Changeling with my friend Diane. When I purchased my ticket, the teenaged ticket seller said apologetically, "It's not a problem is it that it's open captioned?" "No," I replied emphatically, "that's why I'm here!"

Have you seen the trailer for this film? It's based on a true story of a mother whose son disappeared and when the Los Angeles police reunited her with him months later claimed the boy wasn't her son. Was she telling the truth or was she delusional? A captioned trailer is available on Bill Cresswell's blog. I don't want to give any of the plot away but I will tell you there's a real tough part that neither Diane nor I were expecting. Don't bring your children but don't miss it either!

For those unfamiliar with open captions, the words of the script are projected onto the movie screen. For this film they were printed in white letters which were sometimes difficult to distinguish against light backgrounds. This was my second time to attend an open captioned film. The first film I saw at this theatre was Elizabeth, the Golden Age. I especially wanted the captions for that movie because I knew it would be full of dialogue and accents. Unfortunately, I have to be selective in the films I choose as the theatre is not close by and only offers open captioning on weeknights.

I was really interested in what Diane's reaction was to the open captions as it was her first time viewing them. She told me she liked them! She thought they helped her and she doesn't have a hearing loss!

Seeing Changeling was a great start to my Thanksgiving weekend. Once the film was over, I couldn't wait to see my son and give thanks that we had never endured such an ordeal. I was also thankful to spend time with family (in person and by phone) feeling truly grateful that I'm not alone in this world the way Angelina Jolie's character was.

Hope all of you reading this had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends and for my international readers hope you had a blessed weekend as well.


billcreswell said...

I have no hearing loss, and yet I prefer to watch tv with captions on (when they are not the annoying kind that bounce around, and cover up faces).

The only OC movie I ever saw was at the now defunct Studio 28, where they accidentally played the digital open captioned version of "Tropic Thunder". I enjoyed having the words up there.

Maybe it's time for someone to start an "Captions On" theatre!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Sounds like a great idea to me! As hearing loss becomes more common and our nation's population more linguistically diverse, an open caption theatre makes sense. It would be nice to have access to current movies on the weekends. So many times I just wait for the DVD!

Anonymous said...

You're right Sarah the captions did help me with the movie. I found that I ended up reading the captions as I watched and listened to the movie. I am glad I went and I am looking forward to seeing more movies with OC.


SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Diane,
Thanks for your comment! There's an open captioning newsletter available for the Kerasotes movie theatre chain that lists locations and movie times. Here's the link if you would like to subscribe.