Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'm the Answer to a Trivia Question!



My good friend Sheri and me at the Homeschool Reunion

This past weekend I had an opportunity to attend a reunion of a homeschooling group I was a member of a few years back. It was great to see people I haven't seen since my full-time return to the workforce. Fortunately the moms looked familiar although it was hard to remember some names. But, wow, the kids have changed so much. Luckily, I had thought ahead and brought a photo of my son so they could see how he had grown too.

I had thought the event was going to be for socializing open house style but actually there were speeches and recognition awards planned. Several speeches and then an open mike time where anyone could come forward and share a memory. Finally two hours into the event, food was served and the informal socializing could begin.

While waiting to eat, I was tickled when I looked over the trivia quiz tucked inside our programs and found the following question: Who was the brave mom who used to run with our kids during the Presidential Fitness testing? Hey, that was me.... I remember that I dressed up in an American flag shirt and carried a "torch" with red, white, and blue streamers and ran alongside the kids to encourage them. None of them wanted to run slower than a mom so I was a good motivator and a big hit with the moms looking on from the sidelines. It was fun but I had to take Tylenol for a week afterwards.

The best part of Saturday's gathering was seeing my good friend Sheri again! She has a daughter my son's age and we were very close during my homeschooling days. Back then we shared a lot of laughs and a few tears and many hugs. It was good to catch up a little and promise not to let so much time go by before getting together again.

In this photo from years gone by, Sheri and I were unpacking cookie dough containers we sold as a fundraiser. Sheri was also the answer to a trivia question: Who sold the most cookie dough? It's good to be memorable. I think...

No comments: