Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What Lies Ahead?

Presenting on Digital Preservation last month
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what I will do once I have my Masters degree program completed. Previously, I have thought about working in public relations for a nonprofit organization, preferably one which advocates for the deaf and hard of hearing.  But recently, my aspirations have changed direction and I'm thinking instead about being a communication trainer. I have really enjoyed the several opportunities for public speaking that have come my way this fall through my job and my class on leadership and group communication. Mostly because they each gave me a chance to connect with people and share my enthusiasm for a subject. I think it would be great to create and teach a course on how to communicate effectively with people who are deaf and hard of hearing. From stories I've heard and read on the Internet, there seems to be a real lack of awareness on this topic. It is especially hurtful to the deaf/hard of hearing person when their own family members don't have these communication skills and sensitivity. I've been exploring the subject of inclusive communication on the Internet and what I've found resonates with me. Maybe becoming a communications trainer will be the next step in my career.

SPOILER ALERT
My family is getting a golden retriever puppy on Friday. Blondie has been so lost without her pal Rusty. We are all looking forward to this new addition to our family. Stay tuned for heart-warming photos/video to come.

2 comments:

Liz Fisher said...

Hi Sarah. Its surprising sometimes isn't it just how our paths may change when we change our minds on something. What ever path you take you will be great, and I can see you being a good teacher too. Through our personal emails, you know my path could change to something unexpected. I am looking forward to what ever lies ahead in 2014.

I look forward to seeing your new puppy, and I hope it settles in well and be a new found friend for Blondie.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too. :-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too.
I got your card in the mail. Thanks.
Sarah