Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What I've Been Reading: In Pursuit of Silence

After stumbling upon it in Google Books, I recently read In Pursuit of Silence: Listening for Meaning in a World of Noise by George Prochnik. I think it's a wonderful companion to the book I reviewed in 2011, One Square Inch of Silence: One Man's Quest to Preserve Quiet by Gordon Hempton. If you missed that review, you can read it here.

Prochnik's book is also a quest of sorts. He travels all over to explore why humans are noisy and to seek out places of silence. Naturally, he encounters the deaf community along his way and devotes part of a chapter to discussing Deaf Space, an inclusive architecture project at Gallaudet.

I highly recommend his book to you as a very interesting read. To learn more about the author, check out this online interview (deaf friendly as it is all text, no video) in which he discusses his affinity for silence and why people are afraid of silence.

If you've already read this book, published in 2010, let me know what you thought of it.

No comments: