Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Switched at Birth: What the Actors Are Saying

Update 8/3/11: I stand corrected. There are 2 more episodes following Pandora's Box: Paradise Lost which aired 8/1/11 and the season finale which will air 8/8/11. I regret the error. The good news is that Switched at Birth will not be over on the 8th. Additional episodes to complete a full season will be filmed. They will air in early 2012.

In this week's penultimate episode, Pandora's Box or rather guitar case, is opened and a devastating secret is revealed. I'm not going to spoil the suspense for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, so I thought I would share instead some cool quotes I found by the actresses who play Regina and Daphne.

When asked "What do you think is the single most important thing that you want everybody to get from the show?", Constance Marie who plays Regina, said:
I would have to say that the most important thing about this show is, the most number one thing, is that it literally teaches America and merges the hearing world with the deaf community. Since the deaf community is fifteen million strong, the fact that it merges those two seamlessly, I think it's a huge gift to America.
She followed up with this response to the question, "What do you hope people learn from the show?":
Well, I hope they learn, number one, that deaf people are just like everybody else except they speak fabulously with their hands.
You can read her entire question and answer interview here at BuddyTV.

In a separate interview, Katie LeClerc who plays Daphne, was asked, "What do you want viewers to take away from the show?" She replied:
I want people to see that the deaf worlds and the hearing worlds really are not that different. I want people to really feel like family is where you belong, and I hope that this show helps people connect back with their families. I hope that it exposes them to new cultures, and I hope people are less afraid of differences.
You can read Katie's full interview here.

If like me, you can hardly wait to see the show's final episode (airing Monday, August 1 on ABC Family and available online the day after in the U.S.), then maybe this will tide you over. Click here to take a look at ten photos taken from Paradise Lost, the last episode of Switched at Birth and read people's guesses as to what will happen next.

If you've been following the show, what has been your overall impression of Switched at Birth? Do you think there will be a second season?


David said...

HA! Kudos for correct use of "penultimate"!

It's clear that you're a librarian (or an English teacher).


SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, David ;)

dan said...

There better be a second season. This is hands down the best new show I've seen in years.