Thursday, July 14, 2011

Finally! Says This Switched at Birth Fan

Last night I watched Switched at Birth and finally got the payoff that I'd been waiting for since the beginning of this new television series. In episode 6, Regina points out to Kathryn that her biological daughter who is deaf has had to make ALL the efforts communication wise since meeting her hearing family. I wanted to cheer when I watched that scene. I realized in that moment how much the inequity had bothered me about the Kennish family. You may remember in a previous post that I speculated on who in Daphne's new family would be the first to learn and use ASL.

In this episode titled "The Persistence of Memory" Regina encourages Kathryn to learn Daphne's language and get to know her in a whole new way. A little while later Kathryn knocks on the door and signs to Regina that she wants to learn. Endearingly, she is nervous that she has signed wrong as she explains that she learned how to sign that much off the internet. Regina responds graciously telling her she could understand her and that it will mean a great deal to Daphne.

That was probably my favorite moment of the whole season so far.

If you're watching the show, what do you think of how the story lines have developed?




8 comments:

J.J. said...

The show is definitely not the type of show I watch. I am the kind of guy that watches stuff like, "24", "The Wire", "Lost", and etc...but this show has me hooked and seems to get better with every passing week. Emmet (Berdy) is definitely my favorite character. He was pretty smart in the poker episode (the comments about lying, cheating, and how he walked away).

RJ said...

YES I LOVE WATCHING SWITCHED AT BIRTH PROGRAM BECASUE I BELEIVE THAT PROGRAM EDUCATES TO HEARING PEOPLE AND ALSO DEAF PEOPLE TOO REASON THAT HELP HEARING PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND MORE THAT DEAF LIFE FOR REAL IN THE HEARING WORLD AS WE GO THROUGH IN SAME BOAT IN THEIR LIFE. I AM GLAD THAT ABOUT TIME TO EDUCATING HEARING PEOPLE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT DEAF CULTURE FOR REAL!!!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi J.J.,
Yes, this is not the type of show I generally watch. I'm glad this episode left some of the romantic drama behind and got back to the deaf/hearing world storyline. I thought the character of Emmet shone for the first time in this episode. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi, R.J.

I completely agree with you. It is so refreshing to see something like this on a tv series.

On a side note, next time when leaving a comment, you may want to turn off your CAPS LOCK as it could be seen as "shouting" online.

Thanks again for writing me.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure i was switched at birth with someone, i don't know who just yet but i hope it is someone famous.

Kevin Mulcahy Jr. said...

Every Switched at Birth episode title is also the name of a famous work of art! I put together all the paintings with a description of each episode here http://bit.ly/SWITCHEDcode including the next 2! What do you think? I'm nervous about the last one, Paradise Lost!

Kevin Mulcahy Jr. said...

Here's more on the art that goes with tonight's episode, if you're interested! http://welovesoa.ps/SABbox

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Kevin.