Friday, December 31, 2010

Two Thoughts for Today


The picture above is a representation of Janus, the Roman god who could look into the past and the future at the same time. The month of January is named after him. At year's end, I think it's an appropriate time to look back over the last year while anticipating a bright future to come.

Dayenu is a thought that is resonating with me today. Have you heard of it before? I recently learned about the concept of Dayenu while reading Ed Dobson's book, The Year of Living Like Jesus. According to Dobson, dayenu, which is part of the Jewish passover celebration, means "that alone would have been enough, but for that alone we are grateful. Dayenu is learning to be grateful for what God has already done and not asking him to do more."

I like the idea of dayenu and have been thinking about how I might apply that attitude towards the people in my life. I want to be grateful for what they have done for me in the past and remove any expectations of what they might do for me in the future. For all of you readers who have left a supportive comment on my blog or dropped me an email, thank you. I am grateful.

Looking forward into the new year, I am inspired by a thought from the book One Square Inch of Silence by Gordon Hempton. While discussing his need for quiet in the wilderness, Jay Salter tells Hempton,

"I come here to renew myself, to remember what it is to be human, which is not to be listening to a lot of things telling me what to buy or who I am or who I could be, but to find out who I am, to remember who I am, and to take that back into the world."


I may not make it to the wilderness, but I hope I can bring some of that spirit to my blog for 2011. Learning what it is to be human, coping with a hearing loss, finding out what I'm capable of, and sharing it with the world.

Blessings to all of you for 2011.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Happy New Year to you, and I send my blessing to you and your family, all the way from the uk.

Esther said...

Beautifully written. The first thing i have read in 2011 and a great way to start the year. Another Happy New Year to you from across the ocean... x