Thursday, October 16, 2008

Autumn










The first leaves to fall
lay scattered on lawns and sidewalks
like sprinkles on cupcakes.

Posed on porches sit pumpkins
carved with crooked grins.

Robins gather in the yard
discussing their plans to fly
to places south.

The air is cooler
refreshing renewing
after the heat of summer.

Overcast days are heavy
with clouds like cotton
from the vitamin jar.

Nightfall comes sooner.
Morning light comes later.

Autumn is
the briefest interlude
before the midwestern winter.

4 comments:

Deb Ann said...

Oh, Sarah! I LOVE your poem! It brought me a biggest smile upon my face! It's so beautiful and relaxing. So true!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Deb Ann.
I enjoy the poetry on your blog!

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

Sarah,
Great poem, when did you find time to write this one? I tagged you girlfriend with the newest meme out in the internet world .... have fun!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi taylorstales-genealogy,
Thanks! The words of the poem came to me as I was driving around and while walking the dog in my neighborhood. Over a few weeks I strung them together like beads on a necklace. Glad you enjoyed them. I will check out your meme.
Sarah