Monday, September 15, 2008

Acronym Soup

I've always been fascinated by acronyms. If I come across an unfamiliar one, I want to know right away what the letters represent. So I should have known better than to assume that all my readers would be familiar with the acronym HOH on this recent post. My friend Pam asked me if it stood for "humor on holiday". Well, no not exactly. My friend Diane guessed "head of household". No, that's not it either. I quizzed my husband who I was sure would know. He had no clue. I said here's a hint, it's an acronym that describes me. "Hard of head?" was his reply. Thanks a lot. No, the answer is hard of hearing.

When my husband and I were dating, I had a funny experience when I thought I knew what an acronym meant. My sweetheart told me he was going to be bowling a tournament at the ABC headquarters in Milwaukee and asked me if I'd like to go along to cheer for him. Sure, I said. I was a little bewildered by the ABC headquarters part, though. To me ABC stood for American Broadcasting Corporation. I wondered why would they have a headquarters in Milwaukee. New York or California would make a lot more sense. When we got to the bowling center and went inside, I asked him where all the lights and cameras were. He said, "This tournament's not going to be on TV." I said, "But we're at ABC headquarters!" That's when he patiently explained that ABC also stands for American Bowling Congress. Ahhh. [Does that hard of head comment make more sense to you now, dear reader? Tee hee.]


Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

My dear friend, you can certainly tell that we do not text message like teenagers. Their abbreviated language is extremely hard to decipher! Your BFF (that means best friend forever doesn't it?) Thanks for the laugh..

Deb Ann said...

Thank you, Sarah for a good laugh!

Want to let you know that I stopped by to visit your blog and say hello! :o)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Glad you got a good laugh. Someone I admire reminds everyone to "laugh often".