Thursday, November 7, 2013

Dodge the Highlighters

The other day I was in the car with my 17 year old son and I asked him if he had any good school stories to share. The week before he had told me of his heroics when a snake was discovered in the school lunchroom. The story went that his teacher had unsuccessfully attempted to capture it using two Styrofoam cups. When Charlie and two of his buddies heard about the situation, they raced from the gymnasium to get to the snake. Charlie got there first by jumping over a counter. He picked the snake up behind its head and waving it menacingly at his classmates took it outdoors.

It was only a harmless garter snake, but still - what a story. I could picture the whole episode in my head. With that in mind, Charlie began telling me about finding a knife that day. Not a butcher knife or switchblade, simply a table knife. But naturally, he didn't tell me that part right away, just like he didn't mention that the snake was a garter until after he got the effect of seeing my face react to the word snake.

Anyways, he told me this occurred during Dodge the Highlighters. Hmmm. When he said that, my mind got busy imagining a scene of unsupervised teenagers tossing neon colored pens at each other and ducking behind tables and chairs. In disbelief, I said, "Is that what you were supposed to be doing?" He said "Yes, that was our M period today." When I asked where was the teacher during Dodge the Highlighters, he said, "No, Mom. I said Adopt a Highway!" Oops. He had been outdoors participating in a service project to pick up trash along the roadway instead of having an out of control study hall session. We got a good laugh out of that hearing mistake and it gave me a story of my own to share.

1 comment:

Liz Fisher said...

Have you seen this post Sarah on my deaf blog? This story you share here of your little blooper where you heard wrong. :-) http://lizsdeafblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/panic-over.html

Mine as shared in that post was a sound I could not figure where it was coming from exactly while washing pots. I started to panic as I thought it sounded like water gushing from a pipe. When I could see no water as I crouched down looking around near my washer, I noticed as I got up that bubbles were forming where water had drained from a plastic bottle I washed. The sound disappeared as I lifted up bottle and water draining away. And so panic over for me. :-)