Sunday, April 22, 2012

Birthday Party Fun and Games


Today was ALDA Chicago's birthday banquet to mark the 24th anniversary of the group. Our party theme this year was fun and games. When we arrived, we were given beaded necklaces and instructions for our ice breaker game - Don't Say or Sign "No". How it worked was if someone tricked us into answering "no" to a question, we had to give them our necklace. The object of the game was to not lose your necklace while trying to gather as many necklaces as you could. I lost mine when someone asked me if I wanted iced tea and I said "no". Oops.

After our meal was served, we played two trivia games. One had questions pertaining to the month of April. These were rather hard. The other had questions with answers related to green because today happened to be Earth Day. These ones were easier. It was fun to see which ones we knew and which ones we didn't. There were prizes for those who got the most answers right.

Later, after cake and ice cream, we played a game which got everyone to mingle. It was called Famous Couples. Each person had a name tag placed on their back so they couldn't see the name written there but everyone else could. You had to first of all figure out who you were by asking people questions like "Am I a man or a woman?" "Am I a movie star?" "Am I a cartoon character?" etc... Then when you knew your own identity you had to go around the room and find the person who was the other half of your couple. I was Adam. The clues I got were that he was a man, old, and in a book. Ha! Eventually I found Eve. The first two couples who matched were given prizes. We also took photos of our Famous Couples once they were paired. They included Fred and Wilma Flintstone, Kermit and Miss Piggy, Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart, Superman and Lois Lane, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, and Mickey and Minnie Mouse among others.

Adam & Eve
 We also sponsored a Split the Pot raffle. We sold playing cards, ripping each in half. One piece went into a bag and the other was kept as a ticket. The two of diamonds was the winning card pulled from the bag at the end of the party. A lucky lady won $71. The rest of the money went to ALDA Chicago.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the party and the chance to interact with others who were deaf and hard of hearing. It was a great time. Feel free to use these ideas for your own deaf social.

4 comments:

Xpressive Handz said...

How fun!! btw, did you get a new hair style? I love the look!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Xpressive Handz,
It was a blast! Yes, I have a new hair style - much shorter. I'm letting my gray show too. I haven't colored for a year now.

Liz said...

The fun and games sound great. I wish I was there on that one. Although I am sure I would get caught out with saying no.

Xpressive Handz said...

It looks wonderful on you! I've gone from dark reddish to "platinum". It's taking several processes. I thought it was time to match up my roots. :-)