Monday, November 21, 2011

Gotcha, Mom

I don't usually think of my son as a CODA (child of deaf adult) , but we had two moments recently that were rather CODAlike if you will. The first one happened at the public library. I went there to pick up my son. He was sitting in a comfy reading area in a far corner with his nose in a book while waiting for me. When we got in the car, he told me that he could hear me as soon as I came in the room. "How?" I demanded. "You were jangling your keys," he replied. Oops.
Another time we were riding in the car and the song "Staying Alive" by the BeeGees came on the radio. My son had never heard it before. Well, at least not sung by them. His only previous exposure was my annoying habit of singing triumphantly, "ah, ah, ah, ah, STAYING ALIVE" when I managed to make it safely past his hotels while broke in a Monopoly game. Listening to the song with him, I realized that "staying alive" were the only two words I knew of the song. Then, I made the mistake of telling him that. He said with a deadpan look, "Really, Mom. Did you know this song is about a guy on the run from the cops?" "No!," I said in surprise thinking back to John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Hmmm, I didn't remember that from the movie....He interrupted my thoughts with a decisive, "Gotcha, Mom!"
Maybe there should be a new acronym. POHC - Parent of a Hearing Child. I think I may need to start a support group....


Glenice said...

I know what you mean that you don't really consider your son a CODA. Because I lost my hearing gradually over 30 years and wore hearing aids during the girls growing up years, I didn't consider them CODA either. Even though I don't and never did ASL, my youngest daughter studied ASL, graduated with a degree in Deaf Studies and is a practicing sign language interpreter. She considers herself a CODA. She says even though I was HOH when she was living at home and growing up, she can relate to many of the same issues as peers that grew up with a deaf parent(s). My girls have a few stories about those days and me not hearing them. I should probably try to get them written down. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

Lovely post Sarah. Thanks for sharing.

And what a good idea at the end.

Jedediah said...

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know that about Staying Alive.
Your Monopoly habit made me laugh. I need to try that.

Jedediah said...

Oh, I just remembered: I found a webcomic a while ago that features signing and a deaf character, Runewriter. The story is still at the beginning, only a couple of pages. I like how talking, signing and sound in general is handled in the comic - the author clearly gave this a lot of thought.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I'm so glad you wrote that, Glenice. I sign, especially when excited, but my son's first language was English and he rarely signs to me.

I would love to hear your daughters' stories. Have you ever heard of the CODA brothers - Ben and Andy? They have a YouTube channel with lots of hilarious videos. They are voiced over for those of us who are "ASL impaired" as they call it. I highly recommend it.

All the best,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz.
I have an article to send you that I found on Deafness in the Workplace. I'll email it to you tonight.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Jedediah,
Actually my son was kidding me, the song is not about that. I had to look up the lyrics online to find out what the song really says. Now that I've seen them, I still don't know what the song is about other than "staying alive".
So really it's a perfect song for my Monopoly survival.

If you or anyone else wants to look at the lyrics you can find them here.

Thanks for the link to Runewriters. I had to interrupt writing this comment to check it out. Cool!

Xpressive Handz said...

Kids are so funny with these kinds of things!

Glenice said...

I will have to check those CODA brothers out! I also saw them on a post on FB, so two times in one week might be a sign.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!