Monday, November 28, 2011

Oops! Not Again!!!

1/365: ..oops :o(

I took my hearing aids out Friday night and noticed an ear dome was missing. Uh oh. It had stayed behind in my ear!

An ear dome is the tiny tip that fits inside the ear canal.

eardomes.jpg

Regular readers may recall that this same thing happened to me once before, almost exactly a year ago. That time an ENT doctor removed the stuck ear dome. Because it was evening this time, I had to go to extended care hours at a local clinic and see a regular doctor.

Fortunately, the staff on duty were able to find an instrument they could use to safely extract the tiny piece. It was a two person operation. The nurse held a lighted otoscope, while the doctor used one hand to stretch my earlobe and the other to gently pull the hearing aid part out of my left ear. The doctor was surprised when he saw how small it was. I assured him that he had gotten "all of it" and that I was good to go.

I was so thankful they were able to remove it. They had warned me if they couldn't I would have to go to the emergency room of a nearby hospital. If that was the case, I was going to wait until Monday and see my audiologist. I would have done that in the first place but I remembered being warned last year that not removing something stuck in your ear as soon as possible can lead to an outer ear infection.

Today I visited the audiologist and got a replacement part. I was also given spares and shown how to replace them myself. From now on, I'm to put new ones in once a month. I am also trying out a smaller sized ear dome. I hope this never happens again. Yikes. I'm starting to feel as mishap prone as Jerry Neumann.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Omg Sarah. Not again,but another lucky escape. I remember before when this happened to you, but don't seem nearly a year when it happened. Hopefully this will be a last.

Xpressive Handz said...

heheh. I'm sorry for giggling at this... It brought back memories. Back in the early '70's, they had these bulky old transistor radios that came with a little earpiece that had a little clear attachment to them. Being the typical teenager at that time, I stayed up late at night with my music playing. It only had one ear piece, quite different from today. I'm not sure if I fell asleep, or exactly how it came about, but the little tip got stuck in my ear. When I went to get it out, it went further in.
I had to get my mom who tried unsuccessfully with tweezers. We ended up at the hospital. They called in a pediatrician to get it out. He got the job done, along with alot of wise cracks that I was the oldest kid to put something in her ear and get it stuck...I was so embarrassed. We laugh now, of course.

EmmaVerdona124 said...

that would be easier if you wore earmolds than domes since they're easy to spot and also easy as pie!

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
Time flies doesn't it. I was a lot calmer this time seeing as it had happened once before. That's why I wanted to share the experience, so people know to get it taken care of as soon as possible if it happens to them.
You must have shuddered at the mention of an ear infection. I hope the coming year will be infection free and painless for you.
Hugs,
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

It is funny, Xpressive Handz - once it's all over, that is. Thank you for sharing your experience. It made me feel better.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi, EmmaVerdona124. I was thinking along the same lines as you, that with ear molds, this wouldn't have happened.

Liz said...

Yes the word 'ear infections' make me shudder. I did have a couple of pains in my ear over last month, but quickly went as they came thank goodness.

I dod hope, and so does my boyfriend, that I will have a pain free and infection free year. Thank you.

Megan said...

Ear domes... ugh! I originally had them with my aids, but I disliked them a lot. I went back to silicone earmolds because I couldn't stand them. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you again!