Friday, August 29, 2008

Do You Believe Me Now?

My husband landed in hot water with me this week and the story is pretty amusing (as told by me naturally) so I thought I'd share it.
On Monday I heard the strangest noise coming from the basement. I was upstairs in the kitchen at the time. I went down to investigate and traced it to the hot water heater. Bang, bang, bang. Alarmed, I called my husband to come down right away. He looked it over and announced that it was just the pilot light. Unconvinced, I pointed out that in the fifteen years we have lived in our house, I had never heard such a racket. C'mon, if your spouse who's HARD OF HEARING notices the noise from another floor of the house, it has to be quite loud, right? Hubby was unconcerned.
That evening my son announced his bathwater looked yellow like pee. Eewww. My bath after his was the same. When I told my husband about it, he said "The hydrants are probably being flushed." At 9:00 at night?
The next day I noticed water on the floor next to the water heater. I dutifully pointed that out to my better half. He said that was normal overflow and not a problem. I moved a container underneath the pipe he said the water had come from and resolved to check back on it.
The following morning when I took a shower there was no hot water. I mentioned that to my dear husband. I think he still didn't believe me because he started running water in the kitchen sink. Grrr. I looked downstairs in the basement. The container under the pipe was dry while the floor all around was wet. Aha! I brought my sweetheart downstairs to see. He turned to me and said, "We need a new water heater."

11 comments:

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

My dearest friend....as I have said a million times....God created man first and then realized he needed someone to watch over them and steer them in the right direction--so he created WOMEN! I can easily picture your week. I also laughed and laughed and laughed. You did hire someone to install the new hot water heater right? HAHAHA....

SpeakUp Librarian said...

My husband's golf buddy fixed us up yesterday. I had a hot shower this morning. Hooray!

Karen said...

Ah, do you realize how close you were to having your basement flooded? Sounds like the bottom of that water heater was about to fall out! This happened to my mother in law a few years ago. It wasn't pretty!

Faded Ode said...

--Begin InterMission--

Then thank God for men and their inevitable recreational/avocational inclination. To maintain comradeship, so they say. Let's examine this:

Golf. Meet buddy. Golf buddy. Water heater fixed. Golf saves lives.

Man created Golf. Golf saves lives. Man saves lives.


-Faded Ode

Faded Ode Creed: Socratic Solution
= << PowerUp +1 >> !!!


~~((Simplifying World At A Time))~~
--End of InterMission--

jmseyes said...

What kind of repair did he do to the heater? I am experiencing the same thing. Of course, I never heard the sound that it made (I am Deaf but when I wear my hearing aid, I can function like a hard of hearing person.). We are puzzled beyond belief seeing wet cement around the heater and the bucket was dry. At first, the water was in the bucket but now it is dry.

Valerie said...

Oh yes, same story but with the refrigator. I got the come on you don't hear that. Well long story short we needed a new refrigator and new food.

I dearly agree with taylorstales-genealogy.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Dear jmseyes,
Golf buddy and husband got a new water heater at a home improvement store.
Golf buddy, an experienced contractor, installed it himself. He called in plumber buddy when old pipes didn't cooperate.
We would recommend you get someone experienced to take a look at it right away. If you don't know someone, try Sears. If you need one, they will install a new heater and take the old water heater away for you.
Sarah & Dear Husband

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Dear Faded Ode,
You made my husband's whole day! Thanks for adding your viewpoint to the comments!!!
Sarah

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Karen & Valerie,
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Sarah

Kim said...

MEN! We have a very old van we use for hauling stuff in. During my garage sale I noticed the inside part of the door was coming away from the outside part, AND it was sticking to another part on the inside of the floor whenever you tried to open it. I mentioned it several times to my husband, but since he couldn't "picture" what I was talking about he didn't bother to even look. He had driven it a week ago, he said, and "the door was fine." He felt I was probably "doing something wrong," and suggested I "be careful because it's an "old van." Finally by the time it was peeling away at least nine inches every time I opened the door, I told him to please look at it, so he could "recommend" how I should open it without the inside peeling away. Needless to say, he was shocked and confused.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. . .

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hee, hee. That's funny, Kim. Why don't they think we know what we're talking about?!!!