Monday, August 22, 2011

School Bus Cake


My husband and his school bus cake

I made this school bus cake in honor of my husband's new gig as a school bus driver. Today's his first day, my son's return to school, and the start of fall semester at the university where I work.

The cake, a surprise for my husband, was easy to make. I made it from 2 pound cakes, mini nilla wafer cookies for the kids' faces, mini chocolate doughnuts for the tires, and white chocolate chips for the center of the wheels and the headlights. I decorated it using orange and red M & Ms for safety lights and used black and red icing gel to create outlines on the bus and the children's features. I searched "School Bus Cake" on Google to get inspiration and decorating directions.

Here's hoping that students, teachers, and staff everywhere have a safe, enjoyable, and educational school year ahead.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Thats brilliant! And I bet it was a shame to eat it, cutting up the bus. All the best to your husband's job.

Xpressive Handz said...

That is so cute! Happy New School Year. Ours starts next week.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it doesn't look easy. So cute!
--Linda

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! Wish I was there to help you eat it.
- Aunt Louise