Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dealing with Disappointment


Disappointed
Originally uploaded by meibukan76

Last year at this time I was reading several fiction books about the Amish. At the time I was struck by a recurring theme of accepting God's will as the Amish way of handling disappointments. I was intrigued by this attitude. Sadly, I've seen people turn bitter when life doesn't go their way and I wanted to know how I might avoid travelling that road myself. I searched "God's will" on Google and found this beautiful Catholic prayer. It's meant so much to me that I printed it out and placed it on my desk where it is within my view at all times while I am work. I've found it helpful in dealing with the inevitable disappointments that have come my way over the past year. Perhaps you will find it helpful too.

Prayer to Accept God's Will

Give me, Lord, the strength and courage to accept Your will at this time of my life, and throughout my life. You know both what I want and what is best for me. Help me to recognize Your blessing and presence in all my needs so that my thoughts, words, and actions might reflect my trust in Your wisdom. Amen."

You may also want to check out this other photo of disappointment on flickr. It's guaranteed to make you smile.

4 comments:

esther said...

Love this, really did make me smile. And the prayer is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing...

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, Esther. I had really wanted to use that photo instead of the one of the little girl crying but it wasn't available for blog posting. I think the photo really expresses disappointment well. As in I was hoping/longing for pizza but I got spinach instead.

Thank you for your comment!

kim said...

I have always been intrigued by how different religions handle the concept of disappointment. I remember a friend, in the midst of cancer no less, explaining the Buddhist religion and the four noble truths about suffering. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but over time I came to realize that it's not much different from your Catholic prayer. All unhappiness comes from within, even when it's a reaction to a loss. The healing has to come from within. When you pray as a Catholic or meditate as a Buddhist you are healing inside and opening up your spirit to the happiness God wants you to feel. The Dalai Lama says, "The purpose of your life is to be happy," and he also says, "If you want to be happy, practice compassion" Buddhists believe in extending compassion towards self, as well as others. Anyway, nice prayer. I hope I don't sound like I'm lecturing or anything. It just hit a chord. I have been going through a spiritual transformation ever since losing my hearing, or along with it.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kim,
As I've said before, I consider you my mentor. Your words would never be considered a lecture by me. I'm pleased that you left this comment for me and all my readers.
Peace and blessings,
Sarah