Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Why I Will Be Walking

Me, Anna Gilmore Hall, Marsha Kopp
at the Chicago Walk4Hearing Kickoff

I will be walking in the Chicago Walk4Hearing next month. Why? Because I am personally affected by hearing loss and cope with it every day. By participating and raising funds for this event, I want to support the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) and their efforts to advocate for a more accessible world for those of us with hearing loss.

I will be walking on the ALDA Chicago team. ALDA Chicago, a chapter of the Association for Late Deafened Adults will receive 40% of the money our team raises. Why is that important to me? ALDA Chicago has been my local support group since I discovered my hearing loss. The funds raised through this event will be used to provide Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) services for our group. The way my group uses CART is to hire a court reporter who types everything said at a meeting and projects the transcription onto a large screen. This is hugely helpful to us, but also pricey, as you can imagine.

On August 2nd, I had the privilege to attend the Chicago Walk4Hearing kickoff event. In the photo above, I am standing beside Anna Gilmore Hall, Executive Director of HLAA and Marsha Kopp, Team Captain for ALDA Chicago. At the event a delicious breakfast buffet was served. Then, Anna Gilmore Hall and Ronnie Adler (also of HLAA) spoke about the organization's initiatives and accomplishments. Next, a few parents spoke, some with kids in their arms or shyly holding their hands. There were several children with hearing loss in attendance and I was inspired by their parents' passion for helping them succeed in life. To help these children and others just like them is another reason why I am walking this year.

If you would like to support me in this effort, please visit my fundraising page to make a safe, online donation. I would also like to thank the family and friends who have helped me raise $455 so far!

No comments: