Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Frustrated by Hearing Loss? 5 Keys to Communication Success

Today, it is my pleasure to tell you about this outstanding book by Dusty Ann Jessen, Au.D. Oh, how I wish I had received a copy of this book from my audiologist when I got my first pair of hearing aids eight years ago. It would have made such a difference as I adjusted to life with hearing aids. I think every new hearing aid buyer ought to go home with her list of common sense hearing aid expectations (see p. 17).

After getting my first pair, I had a coworker cross the room stopping at intervals to whisper "Can you hear me now?" like he was the Verizon Guy. Ugh. Another time while eating in a restaurant, someone asked if I could eavesdrop on a conversation at the next table. As if! I've had other people tell me "just turn them up" when I missed something they said. Most people see my hearing aids as the answer to all my hearing problems. I felt validated by Dr. Jessen when I read, "Hearing aids do not give people 'super human' hearing! But often times this what is expected of them."

I really liked that Dr. Jessen said her book is "less about hearing loss, and more about communication.” I had to nod my head in agreement when I read "we tend to communicate least effectively with those we are with the most." To address the communication breakdowns we experience in our daily life, Dr. Jessen provides tips for communicating better during normal activities such as spending time at home, riding in a car, eating at a restaurant, talking on the telephone, and attending a public event. For each of these situations, she applies her five keys of communication success: environment, speaker, listener, technology, and practice.

Featured on the cover of the book, Henry, the healthy hearing hound, appears in light-hearted illustrations throughout the book. Available in paperback, as well as for Kindle, iPad, and Nook, the book is 72 pages and includes a few pages for you to make your own notes on challenging communication situations you encounter.

You can order it online at Dr. Jessen's website Cut to the Chase Communication where you can also sign up for Henry's Weekly Successful Communication eTips delivered to your email. If you are an audiologist who wants to purchase multiple copies of the book to distribute to your patients, a discount price for bulk orders is available.


Dusty Jessen said...

Thank you so much for your kind review Sarah! I hope the book will provide as much help to others as it has for you! -Dusty

Liz Fisher said...

I have ordered book. :)

Xpressive Handz said...

Thank you for sharing this book, Sarah! These are the kinds of books I'm looking for to add to my personal library. I do wish audiologist would offer books like this one and Amy Sargent's book "Survival Guide for New Deafies". Having others understand and share tips to help us gives us the tools to advocate better without trying to figure it all out by ourselves.