Monday, June 23, 2014

Why Joyce Edmiston is an Inspiration to Me


Joyce Edmiston is the author of Xpressive Handz blog. Her writing and posts often include inspirational quotes.  Here are a few examples (of the many) that have encouraged me:
She really believes in these positive words. When I shared some personal dreams and my accompanying self-doubt and fear, she told me: You want more because God has more planned for you and your soul knows this. What an affirmation!

Recently Joyce took a personal risk when she insisted on equal communication access to a public event she wanted to attend. The organizers initially said no and offered her a free seat in the front row to placate her. But Joyce stood firm and rallied the support she needed to make them change their minds and offer CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation) services. Joyce's advocacy and action will make the next deaf/hard of hearing person's CART request easier. 

You can make a difference in Joyce's life by voting for her to win the Oticon Focus on People Awards for Advocacy. Joyce needs a new pair of hearing aids. She has spelled out exactly why in her post I Never Leave Home Without My Hearing Aids. The hearing aids she owns now are 15 years old and worn out. She does not have the finances to replace them at this time. Receiving a new pair as part of the Oticon award would make a big difference in her daily life.

I have never met Joyce in person but am honored to say she has touched my life as an online friend. So much so that I nominated her for this award and am asking all of you to please vote for Joyce. Take a minute today and visit this link to read more Joyce's story and vote for her: http://www.oticonusa.com/about/people-first/focus-on-people/overview/joyce-edmiston.aspx 

3 comments:

Liz Fisher said...

I certainly hope Joyce wins and both you and Joyce I look up and find inspirational. :)

Xpressive Handz said...

Thank you, Liz!!

Xpressive Handz said...

Sarah, I still cannot thank you enough for nominating me, supporting me and be so incredibly kind to me. I appreciate all you have done and all you have been doing for me. I am honored to have you as a friend. thank you from the bottom of my heart. YOU have been an inspiration to me over the years.

With Sincerest Gratitude,

Joyce