Thursday, April 24, 2014

Induction into Communication Honor Society

Happy news! Last night, I was inducted into Lambda Pi Eta Honor Society of the National Communication Association. According to the organization's website, to be eligible for admission, master’s students must meet the following criteria:

1.   Complete 12 hours of graduate credit-hours (18 quarter hours) in communication
2.   Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 for all courses taken
3.   Currently be enrolled as a student in good standing, as determined by the institution’s policies.  

After the current semester, I will have finished 15 hours towards my masters degree in communication studies. To graduate, 36 hours must be completed, including a capstone project, internship, or thesis. The classes I have taken so far are Introduction to Graduate Communication Studies, Research Methods 1, Project Management, Principles of Effective Fundraising, Group Communication and Leadership, and Conflict Management. This summer I will be taking a break from my studies and in the fall I will be taking a class called Listening.

Wearing my honor cords and holding my certificate.
At the ceremony I learned that Lambda Pi Eta represents Aristotle's three ingredients of persuasion: logos (Lambda), meaning logic; pathos (Pi), relating to emotion; and ethos (Eta), defined as character credibility and ethics. Lambda Pi Eta recognizes, fosters, and rewards outstanding scholastic achievement while stimulating interest in the communication discipline. 

The induction ceremony included the lighting of these 3 candles.
Last night there were about 25 students being inducted. One by one our names were called and we were presented with red and white honor cords (to be worn again at graduation), a society pin, and a certificate. My adviser and two of my professors helped to distribute the awards. When it was my turn to come forward, they each gave me a hug. My hearing aids squealed, but I didn't care. We were allowed to invite up to 3 guests and I was really pleased that my husband and son came to share this special event with me. After time for taking photos, we enjoyed a lovely buffet of food.

Me and my son Charlie
Me and my husband Rob
I want to close this post by saying thank you to all of my readers for your continued interest in my Speak Up Librarian blog while I am school preparing to become a communication professional.

3 comments:

paul said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic.

Liz Fisher said...

Best wishes Sarah to your future studies. x

Xpressive Handz said...

So happy for you!!! And.. you are halfway there - so many great accomplishments. Love the photos. :-)