Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Being Successful at Public Relations and Event Planning

Last night I attended a presentation by Chelsea Whittington, Director of Communications for the city of Gary, Indiana. She spoke about her twenty years of experience with public relations and event planning. She was enthusiastic about her career and gave attendees lots of good advice. I jotted down several tips I wanted to remember and exchanged business cards with her after her speech. While listening to her, I felt encouraged that I am heading in the right career direction.

Here are Chelsea's criteria for being successful in public relations and event planning within the field of communication:

  • Be a people person
  • Be well read 
  • Be a strong writer
  • Be a strong speaker
  • Be tech savvy
  • Be creative
  • Be resourceful
  • Be ready

All of those qualities seem within my reach. Chelsea explained that most of her public relations and event planning training occurred on the job. She stressed the importance of internships, learning from people who already have experience with what you want to do, and networking.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to meet her and listen to her words of wisdom. As the Buddhist proverb says, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

1 comment:

Xpressive Handz said...

I'm so excited for you, Sarah, and the direction you are going. It's wonderful to be able to use the gifts and talents you have.