Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Promise or Prophecy?

Here's a new promotional video for Hearing Health Foundation.



On their website, they say a cure is possible within 10 years. You can read more about their hearing restoration project.

Here is my reaction (speaking for no one other than myself):

I have mixed feelings when I think about this possibility. I've been wearing hearing aids for less than 8 years. Another 10 years in the future seems like a long time away to me. I wonder what my hearing will be like then? What will my tinnitus be like? Both have changed recently with my hearing dropping and my tinnitus increasing. It's difficult to imagine having my hearing restored. What would it be like to no longer have to use coping mechanisms and strategies to get along in life? What would it mean for me to stop inhabiting my quiet world?

I think the video is cute in a twitter & tweets sort of way with its title "Chirp the News" and the dialog "happy, chirpy lifestyle". But this is a serious issue for me and the loneliness and sadness are quite painful. On the other hand, I'm glad that research is being done in this area and I want to support those efforts.

What do you think?

7 comments:

Liz Fisher said...

I wonder just how close we are really to restoring hearing loss. I still don't think we are close as its made out to be. And if we are, I don't think it would restore all hearing loss. It would be interesting if it happened, and how it would restore hearing loss. If I could have mine restored I would be looking into it carefully, weighing any cons to pros. I won't be getting my hopes up, then that way if it don't happen, I have nothing to feeling duped or let down on.

IR said...

I saw that too. Places like the Hearing Health Foundation and the Stanford Initiative to Cure Hearing Loss both say the same thing, i.e. it's possible to cure or have treatment options within 10 years. How realistic that is, I don't know because I'm not a researcher. Regardless, I still donate to both.

I was also made aware of this potential treatment from a forum today http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MjIwOTMxfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

Yes, it hasn't passed all clinical trials but it's promising that it's being attempted.

I also agree, that it might not restore all hearing loss, but getting 40-50% back would be a good deal.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, IR for adding to this discussion. I found the link you shared opened up to a PDF which explained the process for a biological cure with illustrations and photos. There was even information on the first planned clinical trials on humans. Most of the information is scientific and written at a level over my head. But I think for general readers interested in the topic, it is worth a look.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, IR for adding to this discussion. I found the link you shared opened up to a PDF which explained the process for a biological cure with illustrations and photos. There was even information on the first planned clinical trials on humans. Most of the information is scientific and written at a level over my head. But I think for general readers interested in the topic, it is worth a look.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

I also want to share with everyone that a follow up to this post is in the works. Shari Eberts, Chairman of the Board for Hearing Health Foundation, will be answering some of the questions I had about the search for a biological cure to hearing loss.

IR said...

I just wanted to add that the trials for drug that I posted in the link earlier are recruiting... http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02132130?term=166&rank=1

So I guess this means within the next couple of years we will know whether this is something that is viable to treat hearing loss or even cure it.

Sarah Wegley said...

Thanks for that update!
Sarah