Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year and Time for a Fresh Start

Happy New Year to all!

This is what I am looking forward to in 2014:
  • serving as an adviser for an American Sign Language club at the university where I work. 
  • taking an intermediate ASL course. I took the beginning course about 7 years ago so I'm looking forward to this chance to improve my signing skills. 
  • continuing my graduate school courses in communication studies.
  • working on a captioning project for my church.
  • celebrating some important milestones in my son's life.
  • spending quality time with my family, friends, and pets.
One thing I have realized recently is that much of my stress is self induced. I put more pressure on myself to perform perfectly, than anyone else could. So I am looking at 2014 as a fresh start for going easier on myself.

I found some good words of advice while working on this blog post. They are: You can do anything, but you can't do everything.

My friend Liz posted today about a Positive Jar. I think I would like to use that idea at my job this year. It's easy to get caught up in negativity and overlook the unexpected positive moments in the workplace.

The new year also presents a fresh start towards my usual goals of eating healthier, losing weight, exercising more, and stopping my nail biting.

What are your goals and aspirations for 2014?


Anonymous said...

And you have a new puppy to celebrate the New Year, too! :-)

Liz Fisher said...

Happy New year Sarah and best wishes to 2014 and the pans you have which sound good. All that can be added to the positive jar when you start to do them.

Will you be doing the positive jar?

The positive jar is ideal for writing down the date and what happened that was positive that day and why it made you smile. Write each positive thing on a separate paper, and see what was nice by end of year. I have my jar in the living room where I can see it when I sit down so if I have a bad moment I can look towards the jar and see at a glance of the papers in my jar.

Even if it is just a small thing it doesn't matter it all adds up.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Liz,
I am going to do it at my place of work but not in a jar. I will use a lovely container that came with a flower arrangement sent to me by someone who appreciated the work I did for her. I'm so glad you shared that idea, Liz, and I am glad you are going to be doing it too!
All the best,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Absolutely right! My new puppy is quite therapeutic.

Xpressive Handz said...

You are an incredible inspiration, Sarah! These are great projects, and I wish you much success!

Warmest regards for a very happy New Year to you and your family,

Joyce (Xpressive Handz)

Liz Fisher said...

Just remember though Sarah, to keep shoes out of Melody's way unless you like your toes aired. ;-)

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Xpressive Handz. I hope one of these days to meet you in person. I receive a lot of inspiration from your blog. All the best to you for 2014,

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks for that reminder! How quickly I have forgotten all of Blondie's misdeeds. For now basic house training is keeping us on our toes. Stay tuned for more stories and photos.