Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Google Docs Online Forms

I learned a new thing today and thought I'd share it with you in case you haven't discovered it yet. Google Docs offers unlimited, free online forms. The service is easy to use. I'll walk you through the basics.

  1. Log into your Google account and select Drive from the menu options - located between Gmail and Calendar. 
  2. Click on Create, the red button at the top left. 
  3. Choose Form. 
  4. Pick the style/look you like. 
  5. Type the name of your form in the Title box. 
  6. At this point, the form workspace will open. You can now type a description of your form. 
  7. Next, enter the data entry fields for your form which are presented here as questions. 
  8. Use the Question Type drop-down menu to choose between text boxes, multiple choices, check boxes, lists, and more. 
  9. If you need any assistance, click on the Help button and select Forms Help.

A nice thing about the Google forms is that Google will tabulate the responses into a spreadsheet for you. No need to keep track of response emails. You can share the form with the people you choose and they will be able to view the responses spreadsheet too. You can also embed the form into a website.

This is a great tool for those who need to use simple web forms. Please be aware that it does not have all the bells and whistles that come with forms you have to pay for through a subscription.

If you have used Google Docs online forms before, I would be interested to hear about your experience with them as I am just getting started. Thanks.

1 comment:

Liz Fisher said...

Hi Sarah. I have heard from others that how good Google Docs is, so hopefully someone will be able to help. As for me, I have not even taken a look, so did not have a clue what I could do. I may take a look. But in long run, I may not need it myself. But who knows, after looking at it, it may give some ideas.