Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The 4th of July and Your Dog

This is a photo of Rusty from 2006. He was "dressed up" to watch a 4th of July holiday parade.

Rusty enjoys being with people and attending picnics with good food smells and possible table scrap opportunities. But, fireworks, not so much.

Dogs' hearing is even more sensitive than humans and many dogs become frightened by the loud booms of fireworks. It's important to be considerate of our canine friends and keep them inside in a familiar environment if fireworks are audible in your neighborhood. You may want to turn on the television or radio at normal volume levels to help mask the sounds. In the morning, check your yard for any bits of fireworks left over from a neighbor's party. These tips will help your dog stay safe this holiday. More dogs run away from home at 4th of July than any other time of the year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I have hated 4th of July during the 14 years I had my yellow lab. He would be absolutely terrified of the noise and he would hide in the basement, just shaking. I had to miss all festivities and just stay home, to be of comfort for him. Poor guy... every year on 4th of July, I wished I could trade my Deafness with him for a day...

Liz Fisher said...

Happy 4th of July