Thursday, June 6, 2013

This Juggler Can't Keep All the Balls in the Air

I thought I could do all that I wanted to. I thought my plans were going to work out fine. I was wrong.

This past year has taken a toll on me. Starting graduate school was a much bigger undertaking than I realized. Doing it at the same time as launching Show Us the Captions and being Social Chair for ALDA Chicago was hard.

I have made it through my first two classes of graduate school. I got an A in both of them. I want to continue my studies. But for the summer, I am not taking a regular class. This is not what I had planned originally. However, when I found out that classes were going to meet twice a week and that I would be working nearly 10 hours/day most of the summer on a four-day work week schedule, I knew I couldn't do it. Instead, I've decided to try taking a one credit workshop course this summer for my masters degree. It will meet two Saturdays in a row from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I'm crossing my fingers I can handle it since the stress will be limited to the one week between the classes.

I had also strongly considered taking an intermediate sign language course. I had waited 4 years for it to be offered again. I was discouraged when I found out the class was going to be once a week for four hours in the evening. I requested to audit the class thinking that would relieve the pressure, but the professor never responded to me. That ball fell.

I've told Lauren from CCAC that I am not interested in spearheading the Show Us the Captions national campaign a second time. I am letting that ball drop too. Perhaps someone else will pick it up. If so, they have my blessing.

I thought I could keep on as Social Chair for ALDA Chicago the whole time I'm in graduate school.  But last winter I started having my doubts. Events were planned through September 2013 so I felt comfortable telling the board in April that I would step down after the June social. That has helped me cope with the responsibility knowing that it won't be mine much longer. No one has come forward to take this ball from my hands so I am trying to set it down as gracefully as I can. In February, I agreed to be the Secretary for the board so I will continue to be involved with the support group.

For now, I am mainly concentrating on my family and home life along with my job. Juggling seems easier with fewer balls in the air.

4 comments:

Liz Fisher said...

Hi Sarah. Glad you got the grades and good luck with the other you are doing I'm sure you will do well on that too. Because we email each other I was concerned myself it was probablly too much for you. I know I could not have done it.

Don't allow anyone to make you feel guilty for dropping a few things along the way to take the pressure off. When we start to do alot of things in one go, we sometimes forget about ourselves. I know, I have done it myself too. If we don't look after ourselves, how can we help with anything else. Best just to do a couple of things that we can put our energy into rather than too much and wear ourselves out. I think that is why my handmade card business I decided to announce of closing. I think this is why I got tired and lost enthusiasm. I put so much into it, I had little times for other things. I noticed I wasn't as fit as before, because I was more time at computer than out walking. I'm hoping my blood tests when due later in the year will be better improvement to last year, for dropping this.

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! When a perfectionist (like me) experiences hearing loss it's that much harder to achieve your goals. My advice is to try to enjoy your life and family and don't try too hard to change the world. I work part time in a library and struggle daily to hear what patrons and coworkers are saying.

Xpressive Handz said...

Sarah, how wonderful that you are taking care of yourself and prioritizing what you need to do. Because you are a lip reader, it makes sense that too many hours in the day spent following what is being said is just too much. I understand your position.

Be sure to find some time for pampering and fun along the way.

Kindest regards,

Joyce

SpeakUp Librarian said...

@Anonymous
Thank you so much for your kind and understanding words. I do struggle with perfectionism and not living up to my own expectations.