Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Good News at Work

I have some good news to share. At work, I found out that I've been selected to participate in a Train the Trainer program this summer. Only 18 librarians throughout Illinois were chosen for this opportunity, so I'm thrilled my application was picked. In July, I will be spending 3.5 days at another library to learn about digital preservation. Then, sometime within the next year, I will host a workshop at my library to train others and perhaps even travel to other libraries or teach online.

This training is perfect for me because in my job I have been active in digitizing materials from the archives. I recently completed scanning the entire run of the university's employee newsletters. Prior to that I wrote a successful digitization proposal to have a university magazine published 1977-1992 added to the Internet Archive. Currently, I am working on scanning the student newspaper collection. Many of these newspapers are worn, yellowed, and in fragile condition. I wear white cotton gloves when handling them and treat everything as gently as possible. Once the materials are scanned, I upload them to our digital collections and institutional repository so they can be viewed freely online. I would like to know more about best practices for digitizing library collections.

Having the chance to share what I learn with others makes this training even more appealing to me. As regular readers know, I started a masters degree in Communication Studies this past year. One of my main goals in taking up this study was to seek out opportunities to hone my presentation and public speaking skills. I never knew an opportunity would come along this soon, but now it has, and I'm going to make the most of it.

If you'd like to learn more about this digital preservation training program, you can read about it on the Library of Congress website.


Anik said...

Conghratulations :)

Liz Fisher said...

Thats great Sarah! Right up your alley and perfect for you. So happy to hear this wonderful news, as I know you will be grabbing this with both hands happily. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sarah!

Xpressive Handz said...

This is fantastic! It's awesome you you get to actually handle these bits of history while copying and archiving them for digital access. How wonderful for you, Sarah!

Ruby said...

First off, congratulations! Being the one chosen to learn and teach digitisation to your library would really help productivity in terms of archiving and preservation of information of the school community. It’s great that they have these programs to keep the librarians up to date in various fields that are related to the service they offer.

Ruby Badcoe