Monday, September 3, 2012

Show Us the Captions! Is Going National

August 6 - ALDA Chicago Board Members
at Marcus Cinema, Orland Park,
the first location scheduled for the event.
Show Us the Captions! is growing. From our start in Chicago, the event has attracted interest in Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Florida, and Utah.

To spread the word, Collaborative for Communication Access Via Captioning (CCAC) has created a new page on their website to promote the project and provide updates. The Facebook page launched in July has received 47 likes so far. Most of these were from America, but we have been liked by people from Greece, Cyprus, U.K., Belgium, and Canada.

If you haven't visited us yet on Facebook, please come join the conversation. On that page, I've shared a few sneak peek websites featuring movies due for release in November as well as promotional ideas and tips for organizers. CCAC has also actively posted with helpful updates and links. We want to hear from you there if you plan to participate.

In more good news, the Association for Late Deafened Adults will place a Show Us the Captions! flyer in every conference bag given out to convention goers at their national event in South Carolina this October.

Later this month, I plan to promote the event at a deaf festival in Crown Point, Indiana. My friend John has volunteered to come with me and tape video interviews for a YouTube promo clip.

Contact me at if you want to become involved with Show Us the Captions! and have any questions or ideas for the event's organization and promotion.

Previous posts on Show Us the Captions!
Show Us the Captions - this November
What's the Big Idea, Sarah?

1 comment:

Liz said...

I don't normally bother with captions when it comes to musicals in a theatre, but as you know Sarah, I went to see Starlight Express at Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham.

It was first time I have ever seen Starlight Express. And it was first time being at Royal Concert Hall as well as watching something captioned.

My whole experience of it was a positive one. You can read it here:

And I know this won't be the last now I realise what captions do for me.

But as usual I have to travel to get what I want, as my local theatre does not provide captions, only BSL and thats only when Christmas patomimes start, from what I see of a book thats sent to me.