Tuesday, July 31, 2012

One of My Favorite Authors Died Today

When I saw the name of one of my favorite authors, Maeve Binchy, trending on Yahoo this afternoon, naturally I clicked. But I was sad to learn that she wasn't announcing a new book. Instead, she had died today. There would be no more new Maeve Binchy novels to come.

I first read Maeve Binchy when I was assigned to lead a book discussion on Firefly Summer as a newly minted librarian in 1989. I enjoyed the novel set in Ireland and the experience of talking about it with others and got hooked on both Maeve Binchy and book talks. I went on to read nearly all her books in the years to come. My favorites are The Lilac Bus, Silver Wedding, Evening Class, Scarlet Feather, and Quentins. I especially enjoyed the novels which featured characters that had appeared in her other stories.

If you're a fan of Maeve Binchy, which are your favorites? If you've never heard of Maeve Binchy, please take a moment to watch the short video below and get acquainted.

[captioning option is transcribed English, imperfectly transcribed]

Maeve Binchy, 1940-2012
She'll be missed by readers all around the globe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also sad to hear of her passing. Thought of you because I remembered you liked her books. I plan to read her last book, "Minding Frankie" soon. --Linda

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thank you, Linda. Rob thought the same thing when he heard it on the news. I haven't read "Minding Frankie" yet, let me know what you think of it.
Sarah