Sunday, April 29, 2012

Over the Weekend

Over the weekend I got caught up with e)'s excellent blog and learned about the controversy over an "ASL" music video featured in a Huffington Post article. Reading the original story and the comments below it, led me to this hilarious video by Catherine Tate.



Watching this video led to viewing many of her other comedy clips on YouTube. It was a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

But getting back to the outcry over the "ASL" music video, my takeaway from this, as a person with hearing loss, who is interested in learning ASL and using it to communicate, is the absolute necessity to step carefully. For those of us who don't have ASL as our first language, we need to show respect to the deaf community. I'm going to review all the posts I have tagged with ASL to be sure they relate to ASL and not just my attempts at signing, those will now be labeled signing.

I'd like to end this post with another video discovery I made this weekend. On deaftv.com I found this music video starring Sean Berdy. This is an example of an authentic ASL music video.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Sean Berdy's video. :) He's such a cutie, LOL! And I loved the "Switched at Birth" series. Can't wait for the new season to begin! ;)

(e said...

Thanks for mentioning my post! There are other blog posts about this from the perspective of native/fluent signers which are worth reading such as The Deaf Edge's post: http://thedeafedge.org/2012/04/huffpo-covers-fake-asl-music-video/

Interesting stuff, huh?

(e