Thursday, October 28, 2010

If the Tables Were Turned

Liz from Liz's Deaf Blog posted this video recently. It makes such a good point that I thought it was definitely worth adding to my blog too.

For my hearing readers, what would you do if the tables were turned and you were the one with communication difficulties? Does this video give you new insight into the frustrations deaf people face everyday?


Liz said...

I shown this clip to my Mum. I said to her, I'm not telling you what's happening. Just watch this short clip and observe.

About 10 seconds into the clip, that's when she realised, as I noticed her umm and arrr and nodding her head. She did not say much more. But I did say imagine if I could sign, and found deaf friends and started signing with them. How would you feel?

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Thanks, Liz. This video could be a good conversation starter with our loved ones. I'll ask my mom to watch it too.

Kym said...

This is everyday life for me. Especially at work...there is alot of frustration being around hearing people all day.

I like this video and shared it on my fb page.

esther Freeman said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have just started following your blog as I am hearing but have a totally deaf 14 month old girl. I have often thought about wearing ear plugs for a day to get a sense of her world but this video certainly gives a sense of it. We are week 5 of BSL level 1 so I am hoping we will keep up with her language! I'll look forward to your next posts. Esther.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Kym,
I'm glad you shared it on fb.

SpeakUp Librarian said...

Hi Esther,
Welcome to my blog. It's interesting that you mentioned wearing the earplugs. You may be interested in this blog post a deaf friend of mine wrote about having a hearing friend wear them for a day. If you check out the link, be sure to read the comments for other people's experiences with this.
Your daughter is very fortunate to have such a caring Mom. You may also be interested in the blog Big Teeth and Clouds written by the mother of a little girl with hearing loss.
All the best,

Shanna Groves said...

Sarah - I will definitely share this with the followers of my blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

-Lip Reader

SpeakUp Librarian said...

That's great, Shanna.