Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chicago Deaf Awareness Day at Columbia College

Today I had the unique opportunity to attend Chicago Deaf Awareness Day sponsored by Columbia College. I volunteered on behalf of Chicago ALDA, a chapter of the Association of Late Deafened Adults. In all there were about 30 booths providing information about services for the deaf and hard of hearing. The turnout was terrific. Many were Columbia ASL students. I enjoyed explaining to them that ALDA is a social group for people who lose their hearing later on in life. I gave anyone who looked my way an ALDA brochure, information on upcoming social events, and a handout on sign language.

Halfway through the day, two faculty members performed on the stage in the room. Both used humor and audience participation to tell their stories. Voice interpretation was provided for those of us not fluent in ASL. The performances were fun to watch and received frequent rounds of deaf applause - hands waving in the air.

Here are some photos from today's event:

My friend Gary at the ALDA display table

Peter Cook, Columbia College professor

Crom Saunders, Columbia College lecturer

A display by a private company that provides ASL interpreters

Captioned telephone

Additional phone choices for the deaf and hard of hearing

Display by disabilityworks


kym said...

I just love events like this, I always learn something new.

Liz said...

The event looks good.